Monday, August 18, 2008

Playing Catch Up

Well, I wrote this quite a while ago, but thought I'd post it just because. We have just experienced our first real scary illness with Seth. While he only had a virus (confirmed twice at the doctor's office), it was really scary. Seth began running a fever and with 24 hours of the first visit to the doctor it had risen to 105 degrees. Yes, that says 105, it's not a typo. Of course, Henry and I were very nervous and upset and called upon the best nurse in the world, Pat, for advice. She talked me through what we had to do over the span of about two hours. By the last phone call with her Seth's fever had come down to 102.8. It took a dose of Motrin, a Popsicle, two apple juice boxes and 3 baths to get it down that much. Henry ended up taking him to the doctor on Sunday morning and he was still fine, with the exception of the fever, of course. Sunday afternoon the fever broke. He took a 5 1/2 hour nap and when he woke up, you could tell he was feeling a bit better. We really knew he was feeling better when we were sitting at the dinner table eating. Seth asked for a slice of cheese and since he hadn't really eaten much in almost 3 days we obliged. Well, our little boy began ripping the cheese into tiny pieces and said, "I count them." He then proceeded to count to eight...IN SPANISH! HE didn't miss a number and did it more than once. I laughed so hard I cried! He was so proud of himself and we are so proud of him. I know that TV isn't great for kids, but he sure gets more out of it than I would have imagined. On Tuesday, July 29, Hannah's first tooth FINALLY arrived! It is one of her bottom teeth and as of now has come about half way out of her gums. She looks so cute with just one tooth! We have found the baby seat for Seth's rocking horse. Hannah loves to sit on it and "bounce". Her version of bouncing consists of rocking her head back and forth in a very quick motion. I am trying to get a video of it because it is just too cute for words! Hannah is also trying to stand up on her own. She will be crawling around on the floor (which she also does the "right" way now!) and out of nowhere try to stand. Of course, it looks like a failed handstand, but she loves to try. She walks around holding onto anything she can now. I have a feeling she's be walking on her own before she turns one! As for me and Henry, we're doing well. Of course, I should mention that if it isn't one thing for me, it's another. This time it is my Thyroid! Seriously, that's how I feel these days. I don't know yet if I have hypo- or hyper- thyroidism, we just know that my "levels were out of range." Of course, this is not a big deal. It is easily taken care of either way, it is just frustrating. Hypothyroidism runs in my family, so no one was really surprised to hear I might have it now, except for me of course! Oh well, I'll deal with this just like I have everything else...it is what it is and cannot be changed. I'll take whatever is prescribed and move on with life as normal!

No comments: