Monday, June 16, 2008

Seth's Big Day

A few conversations with the birthday boy: Mommy: "Seth, how old are you?" Seth: "I'll be two!" Mommy: "Seth, today is your birthday party, how old are?" Seth: (a little more emphatic) "I'll be TWO!" Mommy: "No, hold old are you?" ("Say two!") Seth: "Um, two! I'll be two!" Mommy: "Seth, what's your favorite color?" Seth: "Geen." Mommy: "Seth, what color is the car?" Seth: "Geen!" Mommy: "No, it's red." Seth: "Oh, red!" (repeat with all colors...except for yellow on occasion!) Mommy: "What does a (insert animal) say?" Seth: "(Animal) say (insert appropriate noise)!" Mommy: "What does Daddy say?" Seth: "Daddy say 'Hey buddy!'" Mommy: "What does Mommy say?" Seth: "Mommy say 'I luh loo!'" (with the drippiest, sweetest sound to it!) Mommy: "What does Hannah say?" Seth: "Hannah say 'WAH WAH WAH!'" Mommy: "What does Seth say?" Seth: "Seth say 'I luh loo!'" (again with the drippiest, sweetest sound!") (This promises to be a long post so I apologize in advance! I want to make sure I have certain things recorded!) Seth is now two years old and I cannot believe it! I knew the time would fly, but never this fast. I was talking with my Mom and Dad yesterday about how different it is for them watching me with my kids and telling me how much they missed watching me grow up and that made me wonder, how much have I already missed in just these two short years? So much has changed that I don't even know where to begin. I guess the first place is bedtime. Our bedtime routine (if we ever really had one) was always pretty set in stone. The only real routine thing about it was that Henry HAD to put Seth to bed. As Seth began to talk it turned into "Daddy rock." And Daddy rocked each and every night (as long as he wasn't working). Some nights Seth would ask for me and then pitch a fit for Daddy. I must admit that my feelings were always a bit hurt...that is until recent weeks. After moving Seth into his big boy bed (or "Seth's bed") we began to try to put him down without much rocking, if any at all. We also began saying bedtime prayers with him on a regular basis. Now, bedtime is split 50/50, and sometimes 60/40 in favor of me! A few nights I had to put Seth to bed without Henry and I tried singing to him again. (He had denied me our siging time for many months until now!) It worked. We sang a few songs and then I told him goodnight and he went off to sleep. Now when he wants me to put him to bed it is "Mommy lay." (In other words, Mommy lay with me.) So, we go upstairs and say prayers. Then Seth sweetly turns to me and says "Mommy, sing Sunshine." (You are my Sunshine) I sing "sunshine" and then I used to just sing a few other songs. Well, in the past couple of days I was curious to see what he would say if I stopped with "sunshine", if he knew to ask for the other songs. Sure enough, he looked at me and said "Jesus loves me." So I sang that and "I am Jesus little Lamb." I cherish bedtime now. Naptime, too, for that matter. He is very good for me and allows me to put him down without singing if I need, but he also knows I'll sing each song once and then it is time for sleep. We recently let our cat back inside (long story) after quite a long absence. I guess Seth forgot we had a cat because when he saw him he shouted "Kitty Cat!!!!" I told him, "Yes, remember, that's Parker." Seth then replied, "Parker!" A while later we were downstairs and his enthusiasm about Parker had not let up. He was so funny because all he wanted to do was lay on him. Then, Hannah became interested in Parker and Seth got very possessive. "No Hannah! My Parker!", he said. It was too cute! Of course, as with all children there is something new each day. Some days the new "things" are not so nice, but mostly they are so much fun! Hannah has started to make the same silly face Seth did when he was this age. Seth thinks it is so funny! Now, he walks around making the face as well! Of course, as with most kids, I have not been able to catch the faces on camera yet, but I am determined to and as soon as I do I'll share with you all! For now, do you remember this? Seth was just shy of 8 months old when this was taken. I found it! Here's Hannah's funny face! We have cherished every day with our little boy and cannot wait for each new day and each new thing he does or says. If I could have a tape recorder running 24 hours a day, for all of time, I would do it. There are too many precious moments during the day that I am sure I over look a few of them. I can truly tell you that Henry and I marvel at this incredible gift we have been given, the gift of raising the two most beautiful and wonderful children in the world!

No comments: